TIMELINE

History of the Mill Time Line

1086:Domesday Book - this records the existence of 8 mills in the manor of Wimborne, Shapwick, Crichel and Up Wimborne. Whitemill is not specifically mentioned but it seems more than likely that it was a mill associated with Shapwick within whose manor it falls. The manor was in the ownership of Edward the Confessor. The eight mills produced an income of 5 10s.
1174-5: Records of the time mention the building of a bridge near Whitemill. This is currently our earliest specific mention of a mill of this site.
1215:Magna Carta
1326:John Chyke to Peter le Boyt - all his tenements at Wytemull... together with part of his mill.
1327-1690:The Duchy of Lancaster records mention Whitemill continuously because of its royal ownership.
1333:Hugh King, miller to Roger Vagard De Shapwyke - release of two acres of arable land at 'Whitemulle'.
1348:Black Death
1422:Whitemill, with appurtenances, held by John Hussee as part of the Manor of Shapwick. The mill passed from the Champaignes of Shapwick to the Hussees by marriage.
1446-47:Shapwick Account rolls - William Mylward and Thomas Hode, millers, paying 6 6s 8d for the farm of Whyte Mylle.
1505:John Hussee dies holding Whitemill. The Hussee descendants continue to hold the mill until the late seventeenth century.
1524:Shapwick Court Rolls - At this date there appear to be two mills on the site, a tucking mill (cloth) and a grist mill (corn). The tucking mill was carried away in a great flood while the grist mill was in a state of great decay. This is currently our earliest definite reference to there being two mills.
1525:Survey of West Country Manors - John Joyce referred to as holding land around Whyte Mylle Brygge. There is no mention of the mill, but this may be on account of the decay noted in 1524.
1558-1603:The Hussee family purchase the manor of Shapwick from Elizabeth I and the mill passes out of royal ownership.
1635:Sir John Bankes purchases the Kingston Lacy estates for the sum of 11,300. This is probably equivalent to about 12 million in today's money - and something of a bargain purchase.
1642-1649:Civil War
1645:Edward Baskett at Whitemill.
1662-64:Hearth Tax, Shapwick Tything - Whitemill, 4 hearths, 2 stopp'd.
1684:Joseph Hussey of Thompson leases the manor of Shapwick Champaigne with two mills and mill houses to Nicholas Ingram of Blandford.
1684-1750:During this time the manor of Shapwick was sold by Hussey to William Wake, a noted royalist and father of William Wake, Archbishop of Canterbury.
1726:John Baynard tenant at Whitemill.
1744:The will of Sarah Dowager Duchess of Marlborough mentions the ownership of the manor of Shapwick and refers to the two watermills of Whitemill.
1750:The manor of Shapwick passes to Viscount Spencer, an ancestor of Princess Diana.
1772:John Joyce tenant of the mill, house and orchard (late Baynard's living)
1773:The manor of Shapwick is sold to Henry Bankes, along with Whitemill, re-uniting it with the estates of Kingston Lacy.
1773-1774:Henry Bankes commissions William Woodward to survey the estate. The survey shows that no rent is paid for the Whitemill which is redundant. A note from Henry Bankes' memorandum books states that Whitemill may be worth an extra 20 per year by adding two or more grinding stones and doing repairs amounting to 120.
1775:Henry Bankes agrees to lay out 300 for repairs after Joyce agrees to pay 20 a year rent.
1775-1776:American War of Independence.
1776:Datestone over the head race.
1777:John Joyce paying an additional rent of 18 10s 0d in consideration of Whitemill being pulled down and rebuilt. Joyce had agreed this with Henry Bankes who had died the year before.
1807:James Joyce tenant. In the Badbury Hundred there is an account of 12th June 1807 of the drowning of Julius Joyce, son of James Joyce, in the tail race.
1815-1842/3:James Joyce tenant.
1843-1853:Israel Joyce tenant.
1853-66:Jane Joyce tenant. The Bankes accounts for 1866 refer to the bursting of the dam in this year and in 1865 the rent being reduced as compensation for the lack of water to the mill. It seems that this may have been the last date that Whitemill operated by water power.
1867:Ann Joyce tenant of White Mill cottages. The rent has now reduced from 231 to 141 suggesting that the mill is no longer in use.
1869:Thomas Davis Joyce tenant.
1880:Advertisement in the Salisbury Journal for the sale of mill fittings.
1885 & 1895:T D Joyce listed in Kelly's trade directory as Farmer and Baker.
1889:T.D. Joyce is supplying small amounts of flour to the Bankes. This suggests the mill is now powered by a steam engine.
1895:T.D. Joyce is supplying bran to the stables at Kingston Lacy.
1906:T.D. Joyce dies probably in this year. His death ending a connection with the mill and the surrounding area that went back to the early 16th century. His son, H.S. Joyce, went on to publish a book "I Was Born In The Country" in 1946 which refers to his boyhood at Whitemill.
1906-1910:Charles White tenant.
1910-1993:The Hobbs family tenants at Whitemill and Whitemill Farm.
1982:Kingston Lacy and Corfe Castle estates are left to the National Trust by Ralph Bankes. This includes Whitemill.
1993:Conservation work begins.
1994:219 years after Henry Bankes agreed to pay for the repair (300) the National Trust begins the repair and preservation of Whitemill and the adjoining cottage (300,000).
1995:
Whitemill opened to the public.


This time-line is based on work done by others for the National Trust which is now displayed in the bakehouse at the mill.
WHITEMILL HOME HISTORY OF THE MILL